A comprehensive and deliberate review of vocabulary, key content-area concepts, and clear language standards will enable ELL students to demonstrate mastery. Expecting students with a limited vocabulary to perform well without intentional support or “sheltered instruction” will undoubtedly guarantee frustration and failure.
- Provide comprehensive review of key vocabulary
- teach, review, assess, teach….; use word study books, content word walls, etc.
- Supply comprehensive review of key content concepts
- review content directly related to objectives throughout lesson; use graphic organizers as a review
- Regularly give feedback to students on their output
- clarify, discuss, correct responses
- Conduct assessment of student comprehension and learning
- use a variety of quick/mini-reviews: thumbs-up/down, numbered wheels, small dry-erase boards, 5-finger show, include self-assessment