Welcome the the Intermediate/Middle Years Page
Here you will find information and resource ideas that will help you engage your students in their learning journey.
At the heart of British Columbia’s redesigned curriculum are the Core Competencies, essential learning and literacy and numeracy foundations. All three features contribute to deeper learning.
The curriculum outlines the philosophy that:
- Literacy and numeracy are fundamental to all While they are commonly associated with language learning and mathematics, literacy and numeracy are applied in all areas of learning.
- The deep understanding and application of knowledge is at the centre of the new model, as opposed to the memory and recall of facts.
- Classroom learning environments should be comfortable, safe and flexible for all learners and all learning styles.
- Students should participate in a variety of lessons that encourage the exchange of ideas and perspectives to build shared understanding.
- Effective planning and formative assessment is integral to moving student learning forward.
- Students should be demonstrating their learning through a variety of ways such as speaking, role playing, observing and communicating, building and making.
- Students thrive in situations where they own their own learning. This begins with opportunities for choice and guided self-assessment.