Click Here to Access Numeracy Workshop Handouts
- All students should begin to explore what a mathematician is by participating in activities that promote and encourage:
- curiosity and a sense of wonder
- sense making
- Children develop a mathematical foundation by building beliefs about what mathematics is and what it means to understand and “do” mathematics.
- Children need to be actively engaged in doing Mathematics with hands on manipulatives daily.
- Children are influenced by the positive attitude about mathematics from the adults around them.
- Children need high quality problems to solve that relate to their real world where possible.
- Cross curricular connections make learning mathematics more meaningful and add to understanding.